NEW YORK (AP) – Lawyers for Prince Andrew asked a New York A judge on Friday dismisses a lawsuit accusing the prince of sexually abusing an American woman when she was 17, saying the prince “never sexually abused or assaulted” the plaintiff.
“However, and without diminishing the damage he suffered as a result of Epstein’s alleged misconduct, Prince Andrew never sexually abused or attacked Giuffrey. Giuffrey unequivocally denies the false accusations against him,” he said, according to arguments signed by the lawyer. Andrew Brettler.
Brettler demanded that the lawsuit be dismissed or that Giuffre’s attorneys be asked to re-file the lawsuit with a more definitive statement of her allegations.
“The accusation of a member of the world’s most famous royal family of serious misconduct helped Giuffre create media madness online and in the traditional press. It is sad but indisputable that sensationalism and allusions prevailed over the truth,” the role reads.
“Giuffre has launched this unfounded lawsuit against Prince Andrew in order to achieve another salary at his own expense and at the expense of his loved ones. Epstein’s abuse of Giuffre does not justify her public campaign against Prince Andrew,” they wrote in written arguments.
Giuffre argued in her August lawsuit that the prince abused her several times in 2001. Andrew said before filing court documents on Friday that he had never had sex with her.
The Associated Press does not usually identify people who claim to be victims of sexual assault unless they choose to go public, as Giuffre did.
Brettler who has described the action as “unfounded” he included in his arguments a copy of the 2009 settlement agreement which he considered to protect his client from the action.
According to arguments on Andrew’s behalf, Giuffrey’s 2009 settlement of trafficking in sexually oriented and sexually abused Epstein involved the general release of all lawsuits against him and many other individuals and entities.
“In order to avoid procrastination in future legal disputes, Epstein negotiated this wide publication and insisted that it cover all persons identified by Giuffre as potential targets of future lawsuits, regardless of the merits – or lack thereof – of any such claims. . ”They wrote in the newspapers.
The pages of the settlement reached between Giuffre and Epstein were darkened when they were included in Friday’s submission as “evidence A.” The financier was found dead at the age of 66 in his cell in 2019, while he was awaiting trial in a federal prison in New York for human trafficking. His death was declared suicide.
Earlier this week, Brettler told the judge in writing that the agreement “forgives Prince Andrew and any other alleged liability arising from the claims Ms. Giuffre has made against Prince Andrew.”
When he asked for the documents to be filed under seal, Brettler said that neither he nor Giuffrey’s lawyers believe that the 2009 settlement agreement should be kept secret, except for the fact that it is sealed in another civil lawsuit in federal court in Manhattan.
A hearing in the case is scheduled for next week.