Defiant Novak Djokovic is ready to challenge any decision to revoke his visa, as he does not want to give up the opportunity to defend his Title of the Australian Open. The possible cancellation of the number 1 visa in the world was postponed by the ministers after the submission of additional information from the Serbian legal team.
However, Djokovic’s legal team is already preparing for the possibility of further legal appeal to ensure that they have exhausted all possibilities to stay in Melbourne. Under federal government law, individuals whose visas have been revoked have limited time to request a review of their decision before the Independent Administrative Court of Appeal (AAT). However, if the Minister of Immigration is personally responsible for the decision, the judgment is usually final.
As Immigration Minister Alex Hawke was still debating on Thursday, the chances of him being free to play a first-round match against compatriot Miomir Kecmanovic were slim. In a lengthy post on social media on Wednesday, Djokovic admitted for the first time that he had violated isolation rules in Serbia and made a false statement in his visa application. But according to The Melbourne Age, his legal team remains busy preparing as strong a case as possible to challenge any further move to deport him.
The delay in any judgment arose on a new day of intrigue in Melbourne Park, where a 45-minute delay until the draw ceremony he left many to conclude too quickly that a decision on Djokovic’s visa was inevitable. Tennis Australia – which organizes the Australian Open – are desperately hoping the Djokovic problem will be resolved before the tournament kicks off on Monday. Although the government’s immigration website suggests that Hawke’s personal verdict cannot be challenged on appeal, Djokovic’s lawyers clearly believe otherwise.
A spokesman for Mr Hawk said on Wednesday that the Serbian tennis star’s lawyers had “recently provided lengthy follow-up applications and supporting documentation that would be important for the possible revocation of Mr Djokovic’s visa”. “Of course, this will affect the time frame for the decision,” they said. Djokovic’s lawyers reported that they were convinced that the hearing could take place quickly so that the proceedings could be completed by Sunday with abbreviated written submissions and oral evidence.
If he wins, the nine-time Australian Open champion would have a chance to defend his title in the coming days. If he were to beat the Australian government a second time, Djokovic would face the easiest possible curtain lift in Melbourne, as he was drawn against Serb Kecmanovic, who had previously expressed his admiration for the 20-time grand slam champion. The draw was originally scheduled to take place at 3 p.m., but was already running a few minutes late when Tennis Australia suddenly announced a rescheduling at 4:15 p.m.
Only then did Djokovic discover that his alleged opponent in the first round would be his Serb colleague. Australian Open judge Wayne McKewen later told reporters that the delay in the draw was due to “[Covid] a test question ”involving“ someone else. ”Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley also declined to comment after the draw ceremony and declined a journalist’s request to answer questions after the draw.
But when the tennis world held its breath, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison barely addressed Djokovic’s prospects during a national address on covid infection rates. Any decision, he said, would come from Hawk. Đoković himself trained with Argentine Federico Corio at 1 pm in Rod Laver Arena. He is preparing to defend the title as if it were not unusual. However, if Hawke were to rule against him, the draw would have to be reorganized, further disrupting an event already overshadowed by an immigrant dispute.