Novak Djokovic will be detained again in Australia from tomorrow morning, after his lawyers appealed the decision of the Ministry of Immigration to revoke his visa for the second time.
But he is received an appeal against the annulment which allowed him to stay in the country.
At the time, the Australian government said it would continue to examine whether it could stay, a decision that was entirely at the discretion of Immigration Minister Alex Hawk.
On Friday, he announced that the Serbian visa had been revoked again, this time for public health reasons.
At the trial, Djokovic’s lawyers asked for a ban on his removal from the country, saying the reasons for Mr Hawk’s decision were “clearly irrational”.
Djokovic will be free on Friday night, but will be detained on Saturday morning at 8 a.m. after an interview at the Interior Ministry.
The 34-year-old will then be able to spend time with his lawyers to prepare for his case, but will be taken into custody again on Saturday night.
His legal team is working to hold a hearing on Sunday, hoping a decision will be made before the Australian Open.
Mr Hawke said he passed his verdict after “carefully” considering information from the Home Office, the Australian Border Force and Djokovic.
“Today, I used my power under section 133C (3) of the Migration Act to revoke Mr Novak Djokovic’s visa for health and good reasons, on the grounds that it was in the public interest,” he said. he said. statement.
“The Morrison government is firmly committed to protecting Australia’s borders, especially in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic,” he added, referring to Prime Minister Scott Morrison.
According to the part of the law on migration applied by the minister, Djokovic will not be able to obtain a visa to come to Australia for three years, except in urgent circumstances that affect the interests of the state.
Commenting on the decision, Morrison said Australians had “sacrificed a lot” during the pandemic.
“They rightly expect the consequences of these victims to be protected,” he added. “The pandemic was incredibly difficult for every Australian, but we persevered together and saved lives and livelihoods.
“Our strong border protection policies have protected Australians from COVID and now during a pandemic.”
‘One of the most outstanding spectacles’
Polls would show that most of the Australian public expected the government to revoke his visa.
The Australian government needed just 96 hours after this trial, which attracted so much attention earlier in the week that it made its decision.
We now know that Novak Djokovic has admitted to misleading the Australian authorities in filling out documentation regarding his arrival at the Australian Open, and we know that he most likely violated Serbian COVID rules.
This is because he was positive on December 16 and was not necessarily isolated.
It’s such a mess on the eve of the Australian Open. They drew yesterday and Djokovic was involved, but we understand from Melbourne that the decision is to drop him and cancel his visa.
It’s one of the most remarkable spectacles in the sport, off the tennis court. It was so bitter on both sides and polarized the anti-vaccination debate.
Now it really has become much bigger than that. Polls have shown that most of the Australian public wanted him expelled, and the immigration minister has finally taken action.
What about the Australian Open?
Djokovic’s second visa revocation follows after he was at the Australian Open he drew against the Serb Miomir Kecmanović, which is scheduled to begin on Monday.
The world number one men’s tennis player could still file a lawsuit, but if not, his hopes of winning 10th Melbourne Park title and 21st grand slam crown will come to an end.
To have a chance to compete, his attorneys would have to appear before a federal district and family court judge or a senior federal court judge to get two urgent orders.
One order would be a ban to prevent his deportation, such as the one he obtained last week.
Others would order Mr Hawk to grant Djokovic a playing visa.
If he is excluded from the tournament before the announcement of Monday’s order, the holders will mix, and the place of the tennis star will be taken by the fifth holder Andrey Rublev.
“Not great for the Australian Open – not great for Novak”
British tennis player Andy Murray described the consequences as “not a good situation”.
He added that “it wasn’t great for tennis, it wasn’t great for the Australian Open, it wasn’t great for Novak and apparently a lot of people criticized the government here too, so it wasn’t good.
“I’m not going to sit here and start kicking Novak when he’s on the ground, I said that the day before, it’s not a good situation for anyone,” he said.