The difference between EHIC and GHIC cards and which ones you will have to travel this year


The Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) is slowly replacing the old EHIC regime, which gave British citizens access to free or low-cost healthcare in EU countries – but some travelers may find that their card is still valid.

EHIC or GHIC? Let’s take a look

Travel companies reported an increase in bookings for winter sports holidays when France reopened its borders to UK tourists on Friday.

For the first time in almost four weeks, Passengers from the United Kingdom who are fully vaccinated can enter France if they have evidence of a negative coronavirus test performed within 24 hours of departure.

The requirement of 48 hours of self-isolation on arrival was also eliminated.

In the hours after France announced on Thursday that it was lifting restrictions, easyJet saw a sevenfold increase in demand for flights from the UK to popular French ski destinations for the rest of the winter season compared to the same period last week.

Reservations for winter flights to Switzerland were almost five times higher during the week, which, according to the airline, suggests that the French decision has boosted consumer confidence in international travel in general.

The ban on British travel to France was lifted today



Ali Gayward, head of EasyJet in the UK, said: “As the number of flights increases in the coming weeks, we will continue to review our schedule to meet demand and look forward to taking our customers on a long-awaited holiday this winter. ”

The UK eased its restrictions on international travel last week.

People who are fully vaccinated you no longer need to take the Covid test before arriving in the UK, and may perform a cheaper and faster lateral flow test than the PCR test upon arrival.

The changes save a family of four around £ 300.

If you are going abroad, insurance is considered crucial given Covid’s current rate worldwide.

Most insurance companies now cover passengers – but make sure your policy includes at least emergency medical care and repatriation due to coronavirus claims.

This means that you will be insured for both medical care and return to the UK if you get coronavirus while you are abroad.

This is especially important if you are a high risk traveler. Some providers also offer an improved level of coverage that offers more protection than standard shelves.

However, for your policy to be valid, you should not travel against the advice of the FCDO. This means that you will not be insured if you travel during prison or to countries that are not on the FCDO list.

Some passengers may also have protection (albeit limited) in the form of a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC).

Until January 2021, British citizens could apply for an EHIC card to access free or cheap treatment in EU countries.

However, the transition period is over and the scheme is being replaced by the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC).

Compensation does not offer you anything like protection from travel insurance, but it gives you the right to “free or reduced health care provided by the country where treatment becomes medically necessary during a temporary visit. European Union (EU). “

If you have an existing EHIC, it will remain valid until the card expires.

However, you can upgrade to a replacement GHIC card up to six months before the current card expires.

The Ministry of Health says that due to high demand it is currently taking longer than usual to process new applications in the UK EHIC and GHIC – so if you are traveling this summer you may want to apply now.

You can also order it for your partner and any dependent children.

If you need emergency care while visiting another country and have not received your card, you can apply for a temporary replacement certificate (PRC).

Log on to and watch out for any unscrupulous sites that promise to do it for you for a fee.

A telephone number (0300 330 1350) is also available, or you can print an online application form and apply by post.

Again, the new rules are a bit different this time around, so don’t expect your old EHIC or new GHIC to cover you in every country. Check the website before traveling.

Who can get GHIC?

You can get a GHIC if you are:

  • resident of the United Kingdom
  • a non-UK citizen but domiciled in the UK
  • A student from the United Kingdom will study in the EU

If you are not a UK citizen but legally resident in the UK, you will be required to provide supporting evidence when applying for the GHIC.

If you are a student studying in an EU country, you will need to apply for the GHIC, which is limited in time to the length of your course. You can only do this by mail, not online.

What is the difference between EHIC and GHIC?

The EHIC covers 27 EU countries as well as Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.

However, the GHIC covers only 27 EU countries.

If you still have a valid EHIC, it will no longer apply to Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland from 1 January 2021.

Which are the 27 countries of the European Union covered by the GHIC?

The 27 EU countries covered by the GHIC are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Republic of Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

Which European cities are not covered by the GHIC?

The following European countries / locations do not accept EHIC or GHIC:

  1. Channel Islands (including Guernsey, Alderney and Sark)
  2. Isle of Man
  3. Monaco
  4. San Marino
  5. Vatican

read more

read more



Leave a Comment

error: Content is protected !!